The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, July 31, 2022

February 28 - March 3, 1983 First Day of School (After Feb Vacation)

 

Monday, February 28, 1983 FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL

 

A partly sunny day. I did a big wash. I made a custard. I cooked a nice beef roast, made hot biscuits for supper. I did a lot of other odd jobs. I watch my programs in forenoon then again in PM. I done up the housework. Bill took a walk also Billie. Dorothea back to work tonight. Billie is doing quite well if he don’t get too tired. Got a call from Betty Smith. They took Milan in to the hospital yesterday, he has a growth on his vocal cords and lost his voice. Hope he will be okay soon.

 

Cody

 

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 1, 1983

 

A partly sunny day in a.m. I did my ironing. Swept, washed kitchen floor, made a chocolate cake. Billie out working. I mailed the card to Milan. Did my figuring. Betty gone to get haircut. Betty down and got haircut, took Bill’s car. Walked home from here to exercise. Billie to town to the bank. Kind of a cloudy day. A guy came and looked at Billie’s car or truck.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 2, 1983

 

A nice sunny day. I didn’t do too much. I cleaned up the house. Bill and Billie in and out. Kim leaves a week from this morning for her trip AFS. I’m so glad she is going. I hope the weather will be good.

 

 

 

Thursday, March 3, 1983 Milan still very sick in the hospital

 

A nice sunny day but the wind blowed so awfully hard all day and most of the night. I done up the work, went to town with Betty and Delores. I am quite worried about Milan. I hope he gets to gaining soon. Called at Fern’s with her groceries. Bill called at Betty’s in PM. Kim home from school, a bad cold. Zak came up tonight after supper. Dorothea didn’t have to work tonight, the lady is back in the hospital in serious condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment