The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, July 6, 2022

November 26 - 29, 1982 Carmen Back to School

 

Friday, November 26, 1982 KIM ELASTIC HOSE

 

Today I washed, done regular work. And Betty and kids and Dorothea all to Portland to do Christmas shopping. Kim had to get fitted for her elastic clothes for her swollen legs. It got cloudy and in late PM it began to snow. Laurie called in PM. Walt up for supper. Betty and they didn’t get home till about 10 PM.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 27, 1982

 

At last a nice sunny day. The wind blowed last night and today. It was very cold this morning. I got up usual time, got breakfast, done up regular work. Kim came up for breakfast. She ate with Billie. Then she and I changed the beds. I got my bath taken about 11 AM. It all work done up early. Carmen and Betty up to New Hampshire shopping. Dorothea down town to do her grocery shopping and Billie called at Fern’s and up to David’s. Carmen called for a minute.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 28, 1982 Carmen left at 1:15 PM for school

 

Very cold and about 18°. I got up at about seven. This morning Carmen came up for breakfast also Lisa and David came, he had coffee. Carmen took the car back to school this time. Zenya went with her. Also they picked up a couple guys down to the Westbrook Turnpike entrance. They got back about 5:30 or six. Will miss her. Next time she comes home it will be a few weeks vacation.

 

 

 

Monday, November 29, 1982

 

All mostly cloudy day, it was bad traveling. Iced roads. The school bus was two hours late. They slipped off the road before they got to here. I did my washing. Got steak out for supper. Kim had to babysit tonight. I went down to Betty’s, we wrapped her gifts. Dorothea called in evening. I watched TV in PM. I missed them most of last week.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment