The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, July 26, 2022

February 8 - 11, 1983

 

Tuesday, February 8, 1983 Cow Bred

 

Still snowing, not too hard this morning. Bill did a plowing. Billie done chores and Sanderson came and bred the cow. Billie to town hall for eye examination this forenoon, to Dr. Petrone in PM and his report from him was not too good. He is very much limited on what he can do. His treadmill test did not prove out very good. He cannot do anything until April. I’m afraid the cow will have to go.

 

 

 

Wednesday, February 9, 1983

 

A very nice day, on the cold windy side. I did a wash. I cleaned the house up. Dorothea called and got some milk. Bill to town and called at Betty’s. Billie is quite discouraged about his health. He called at Fern’s, went to town, got a few things for Betty. Joy got milk tonight. Zak up after school. Ray Stanford worked at Betty’s this PM.

 

 

 

Thursday, February 10, 1983 cold, 0 this morning

 

Cold and windy. I done up the housework, went to town. I came home, did some odd jobs then I watched soaps.

 

 

 

Friday, February 11, 1983

 

They are having very bad storms in Virginia, North and South Carolina. I did a lot today getting the house cleaned up, washed windows etc. I made a cake, a Jell-O salad. Dorothea and David called in PM. I did some washing and other jobs.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment