The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

February 12 - 15, 1983 Betty's 40th Birthday

 

Saturday, February 12, 1983 Blizzard like in early a.m.

 

A nice day. I was busy all day. I cleaned up the house. Made pies, bread and rolls. Betty and Walt called also Kim came up. Dorothea called in PM. Billie and Heidi took a walk. It was snowing and blowing when we got up like a blizzard. It didn’t last long, sun came out. Got very pretty Valentine cards from Carmen.

 






 

 

 

 

Sunday, February 13, 1983 had dinner for Betty’s 40th birthday

 

A very nice day. Sunny and mild today. I had a birthday dinner for Betty. I got up early to get the dinner going and get my work done. Kim came at about 10 AM. She sure was a great help. She did most everything I’d say. After dinner she and Betty did dishes. Hortons, Fern here for dinner then Dorothea and Dawn came. Dorothea here for supper. It was a good time. Bill and Walt watched TV. Kids played games, Kim wrote letters and slept. Kathy Wolff and her boyfriend called for milk. Roast pork dinner, whip cream cake, apple pie.

 

 

 

Monday, February 14, 1983 talked with Carmen, called about pullets

 

Billie called about pullets, will be ready by last of March. I did my wash, done up regular housework. Had rest of roast pork for supper. Billie to town. Bill down town early this morning to get Valentines in. Kim came up after supper and brought very pretty Valentine. Carmen called tonight. She was glad to talk. She is having a good time up there. It was good to hear her voice. A nice day.

 

 

 

Tuesday February 15, 1983

 

Mild all day. I did my ironing early. I made a mac & cheese and a cornflake pudding. Billie took his walk, he and Heidi. Bill got a haircut.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment