The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, July 21, 2022

January 19 - 22, 1983

 

Wednesday, January 19, 1983 five below

 

Very nice sunny day, it was cold all day, some light wind. I done my regular work, swept, cleaned up the house etc. Betty came up and helped do chores then she and Bill went to Norway and around. Dorothea called late PM. Betty got a letter from Carmen, very interesting, about her many boyfriends. She is having a good time.

 

 

 

Thursday, January 20, 1983 2 below this morning, CALF

 

Calf went tonight. Went to town, didn’t get home till late, about 1:30. I watched TV shows in PM, not so cold tonight. Tonight Butch got the calf for veal. He was a very nice calf, very cute. Hate to see them go when they are so small and raised here.

 

 

 

Friday, January 21, 1983

 

A very nice day. I was busy all day. I did a big wash, washed windows and put up some different curtains in the kitchen. Dorothea and Dave came. David cleaned up pen. Zak up to do chores.

 

 

 

Saturday, January 22, 1983

 

A beautiful day. I done a lot of jobs. Zak called. Dorothea, Dave, Betty, Walt and Kim. A very nice and sunny day, it was mild. Susan and kids called in PM. I made rolls and a cake. Kim brought up a very good Brown bread she made.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment