The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, July 11, 2022

December 16 - 19, 1982

 

Thursday, December 16, 1982

 

Well it has been a nice day. I done up the regular work and a dite of wash. Betty, Delores and I to town. I came home and I did some odds and end jobs. Bill is sick with a bad cold.

 

 

 

Friday, December 17, 1982

 

A nice day. I done up regular work etc. Then I made a couple batches of fudge. I washed. Fudge came out real good. Later on I went down to Betty’s, we made the popcorn balls. Didn’t make as many this year. We’re cutting down on everything this year. We don’t eat the same as we used to in my prime days. Dorothea down to Betty’s also. Bill has a bad bad cold.

 

 

 

Saturday, December 18, 1982 KIM TOOK HER LAST DRIVERS TEST

 

A nice sunny day. I done regular work. I washed windows, floors, made rolls. My beans were very good. Zak came up for breakfast and stayed for a little while. Kim called for a minute. Today Kim took her last drivers test in Portland. Billie busy all day. David called. Bill’s cold not any better. He has been in bed most of the day. Today I made another batch of chocolate fudge.

 

 

 

Sunday, December 19, 1982 KIM GOT HER ELASTIC HOSE ON

 

Cloudy today. I didn’t do much. I wrote letter to Milan and Betty. Watched a David Brinkley report. I didn’t get up until late. Bill not too good. He looks very white. Kim called a little while, she got her elastic clothes on. She isn’t very comfortable with them. Billie called at Fern’s.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment