The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 22, 2022

January 23 - 26, 1983

 

Sunday, January 23, 1983 Rain

 

I wrote to Carmen, a birthday card to Regina and Vince. Betty get some old photos and snapshots at Donnie Warren’s and we looked at them. A cloudy rainy dreary day. Zak up tonight to help do chores.

 

 

 

Monday, January 24, 1983

 

Rained in early a.m. then it cleared off. I’ve been busy all day. Zak up and helped to do chores this morning and tonight. Dorothea called late tonight. I did a big wash and made some molasses cookies and cooked roast pork spareribs. Bill didn’t do anything all day. Bill McDade and little girl called in PM. Also Joy called and got milk. She likes her new truck. David sick and didn’t go to work.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 25, 1983 Cloudy

 

I done up the regular work. Then I did the ironing. Betty came up and did the chores this morning. Bill and Billie to the doctors. Bill is doing just fine. Billie is pretty good but still has to watch out and be careful. I did my scraps is PM. Betty and I down to Fern’s in evening. Billie down to Betty’s for spaghetti supper. Bill and I had milk toast and a good chocolate pudding for supper. It turned out to be a very nice mild day.

 

 

 

Wednesday, January 26, 1983

 

A beautiful day, sunny and warm. I done up my regular work. I made a blueberry pie and a boiled frosting chocolate cake. I got the chicken in baking. I did a wash, also fixed some stuffed peppers. Bill called at Dorothea’s. Billie took his walk this morning. Kim here for supper. She liked her supper very much.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment