The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

December 20 - 22, 1982 Bill In Hospital

 

Monday, December 20, 1982 CARMEN ARRIVED HOME AT 5:30 PM

 

Well we got snow this PM. I was worried about Carmen coming, but she got home at about 5:30 all safe and sound, tired. She looks it too. I’ve been busy. Washed, ironed, swept, dusted, washed windows, cleaned the house etc. I watched the soaps in PM, got supper. About 5:30 we saw this big car coming and it was Carmen. She left school at about 12:30. She said it began to snow as she was coming into Waterville, she was careful, the roads are bad. She made it very well and is a good driver. In evening Billie and I went up to see Dorothea’s Christmas tree. She looked so nice at her house, very pretty. Called at Betty’s, they look so nice, very pretty. Carmen is so pleased to be home.

 

 

 

Tuesday, December 21, 1982

 

Well a mostly cloudy day. I been busy all day. I made some more fudge etc. It seems good Carmen’s home. She called today. She didn’t get up until very late. Bill still very bad, he went to the doctors. He said he is bad and he would have to come into the hospital if he didn’t improve soon. Billie down to Fern’s today, called at Betty’s on his and Heidi’s walk.

 

 

 

Wednesday, December 22, 1982 BILL IN HOSPITAL

 

A quite nice day after so many cloudy days. I got up and got my work done, got some washing done then I did my hair. Bill talked with the Dr. and he wants him to come into the hospital for a few days. He looks very bad. He is having heart problems now. He called Dorothea and she took him down. Then she came home. Betty came up. Dr. told Dorothea he is a very sick man. We, Dorothea, Carmen, Betty and I went down in evening to see him, he is coming now. I went down to school with Betty and Carmen to take some money to Kim. She and Gwen are going up to LL Beans to shop. Kim is wearing her elastic hose. She has a hard time getting them on, hurts her fingers.

 


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment