The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, July 20, 2022

January 15 - 18, 1983

 

Saturday, January 15, 1983

 

We got a snow storm late this PM. At dark the storm got bad, windy. It blowed hard all night and snowed. I made bread and rolls and a cake.

 

 

 

Sunday, January 16, 1983

 

Still snowing and blowing. Not quite so bad. Walt, Zak, David, Dorothea and Betty all plowed and shoveled out. They did such a good job. I read papers.

 

 

 

Monday, January 17, 1983

 

I did a big wash. It was a very nice day. I made a macaroni and cheese and apple pie. Billie didn’t do much. Bill and Ilan up fishing. Betty up to help do chores.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 18, 1983 a nice sunny day

 

I done up my work and did the ironing. Dorothea, David and Betty called. Betty helped with the chores. It is near zero today. But a nice clear sunny day. I went down to Betty’s and spent a couple hours. We looked at the snap books etc. It looks so nice down there just as it did when I lived there. It has that look I grew up with and I loved it then and I do now too. Bill got his glasses this morning. Billie down to get his haircut.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment