The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, August 1, 2022

March 4 - 7, 1983

 

Friday, March 4, 1983 very nice sunny day, not much wind

 

It was a very nice day. I washed windows, cleaned up the house, did washing, changed curtains in the kitchen and washed them. Billie took his usual walk, he and Heidi. She gets so pooped. Bill up to Dorothea’s and to the bank.

 

 

 

Saturday, March 5, 1983 Kim’s ring came

 

A very nice mild sunny day. Temps up in the low 60s. I rushed around, got my work all done. Because Dorothea and David were coming. They came, also Kim, all visited a long time. Kim has a very pretty class ring. She showed us. A very nice letter she got from her father Mike. Zak off for the day to a birthday party at Portland to swim.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 6, 1983

 

Sunny. I didn’t get up until 7:45. I got the breakfast, done up the work. I defrosted the refrigerator, wrote a card to Milan and checked some pictures I had. Betty, Walt and their guest all out for lunch and riding around. Zak sick tonight. Kim up after supper. I called at Fern’s in PM.

 

 

 

Monday, March 7, 1983

 

A cloudy dreary day. I did the washing and made two pies. Zak has the flu. And Kimmy couldn’t stay at home because she is to leave Wednesday morning on her AFS trip so we don’t want her to catch the flu before she goes, so I hope she goes and gets back before she is sick after being exposed to it. Kim made cookies to take with her. They were delicious. A man called about Billie’s truck.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment