The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, August 7, 2022

March 27 - 30, 1983 Carmen Goes Back to UMO

Sunday, March 27, 1983 CARMEN WENT BACK TO UMO

 

I got up at about seven this morning. I got the work done up, breakfast over. Zak came up for breakfast. About 1:15 Carmen called to say goodbye. I hated to see her go as always. I miss them when I don’t see them. They left about two. Roger left at the same time. Betty and Walt called in PM. David’s cow sick. Kim up tonight.

 

 

 

Monday, March 28, 1983 DAVID’S BIRTHDAY, No School

 

Back to winter, ground was all white was about 6 inch depth of snow. No school in most of the state. I got the regular work done up, did the washing. Cooked a chicken for supper. Made a mince pie for supper. The guy, Phil Douglas, came and paid Billie for the truck. Zak up and did a dite of shoveling. Walt plowed the end of the driveway. David’s cow better. Had a very good chicken supper.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 29, 1983

 

Cloudy, flurries, a dite of sun now and then. I done up the work. A lady came to see about getting some information on Delores’ condition. Betty came up. David’s cow is better. Walt came home, he and Betty went to New Hampshire. Bill to town and deposit Billie’s money. Billie and I worked on the bills to get ready for Walt to make out an application, for Walt to fill out for him.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 30, 1983

 

I done up the work. I checked over store list, helped Billie with his papers. I cooked a T-bone steak supper. Had Zak up. He likes it very much and ate a lot. It was on the windy side, some clouds. Billie took a walk. Kim got a very nice letter from her friend Roger Smith

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment