The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

May 1 - 3, 1983

 

Sunday, May 1, 1983 1st Cookout of Stearns, two new heifers at David’s

 

Well it was cloudy all day, sun some, a few little showers. I didn’t get up till 7:30. I sat up till after Kim and Roger got home about 12:45. I got breakfast. Did up the work. After I got done, went up to Dorothea and David’s. He had two new heifers come. And he sold two heifers, one most ready to calve. Came home, went up to camp with the Hortons for a cookout. Zak up on his bike, he had a good time. Roger started home or back to school but came back and stayed all night.

 

 

 

Monday, May 2, 1983 Billie to Maine Medical Center, RAINED

 

I got my work done up. Did a big wash. Billie got ready and went to the Maine Medical Center in Portland for catheterization examination. It rained hard all day. I cleaned Billie’s room and the hallway. Bill couldn’t do anything today. Kim went to school with Roger this morning.

 


 

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 3, 1983 $363 plus $159

 

A miserable day. I done up my work, did a big ironing. Put the finishing touches on Billie’s room then I started the living room cleaning. I did the corner cupboard and furniture, walls etc. on that side. I got done and got supper so we ate early. David came and did the milking and chores. I got a call from Billie tonight. His test he had taken didn’t look at all good. It is serious, his condition.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment