The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, August 28, 2022

June 13 - 16, 1983

 

Monday, June 13, 1983 BAD BAD AND VERY VERY HEAVY THUNDERSHOWERS, another very hot humid day

 

I done up my work, got my washing to going, put a rinse on my hair. Then Betty went down to get Kim at 10:30 after the exams. I went with her and didn’t see Bobby. After I got home I did more on the washing. Betty and Kim called and wanted me to go up to camp also DAWN them. It was so very very pretty up there. Kim and Tara went swimming. Kim stayed up till suppertime and Betty went back up and got them. We had one of the worst and longest thunderstorms we have had for years between 5 and 6 PM. Bill worked up to the camp in Norway all day.

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 14, 1983

 

I done up my work. They came and finished the work on the porch which they are going to do. It will be nice, it sure does shut out a lot of daylight from the kitchen. Billie about the same, he took a walk again.

 

Tara

Dingle

 

 

Wednesday, June 15, 1983

 

Hot and afternoon showers again. It was hot and muggy. I did some odd jobs, busy all day. Billie down walking. Bill worked all day up to the Norway camp. Zak helped. Betty up there for a while. It was awful hot. Bobbie Robbins called on Kim today. She was quite pleased about that.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 16, 1983

 

Cloudy and rain today, not so hot. I went to town with Dorothea. Betty had other things to do. Billie got all shook up because of his appointment in Portland. Dorothea took him. Carmen and Kim up to Augusta. Carmen applying for work. I did the wash this PM. Bill working for Betty today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment