The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, August 25, 2022

June 2 - 5, 1983

 

Thursday, June 2, 1983

 

Cloudy, not a good day. I done up the work, got ready to go to town. After I got home I done some odd jobs and watch TV soaps. Billie about the same. Toward late PM it cleared. They brought the lumber for porch.

 

 

 

Friday, June 3, 1983 Kim To Movies with Bobbie Robbins

 

A cloudy day. Rain etc. but it cleared away and quite nice and pleasant. It was on the cool side. Billie got out and walked. I washed windows, cleaned up the house. I did a washing. Kim and Zak mowed our lawns after school, they look so nice. Kim brought up her yearbook, it is pretty and looked so nice. Very interesting. Billie got a VA check today, that was good. He will get two a month a total of $264 a month. Kim very happy. She went to the movies with Bobbie Robbins. I’m so glad for her.

 

 

 

Saturday, June 4, 1983 RAIN

 

Just another one of those miserable rainy days all day. It is so sickening. I was busy all day. Kim and Carmen called. They had been down to visit Great Grammy Briggs. Kim down to school taking tests. Carmen and Lisa gone deep sea fishing. Zak and Betty called. David called and Dorothea here in PM.

 

 

 

Sunday, June 5, 1983

 

No rain, but it was cloudy and dreary all day until in early evening at about 5:30. It cleared nice clear sky. Nice and sunny but tomorrow it will be the same I bet. Dorothea, Fern and I went down to Raymond to Harold and his new wife Joyce. A very nice person. They had a family and friend party for them. Carmen and Lisa very seasick all day on the boat.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment