The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, August 2, 2022

March 8 - 11, 1983

 

Tuesday, March 8, 1983

 

A cloudy rainy day. I done up the work, did a dite of washing. Kim up here tonight to stay. She has got to get up and leave early tomorrow morning. I hate this weather. Bill and Billie didn’t have anything to do. They read. A man was supposed to come to look at the truck but didn’t.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 9, 1983 KIM LEFT AT 5:40 AM, AFS TRIP

 

Well we got up at 4:30 this morning to get Kim ready. She got ready and left about 5:40. Bill took her. It was snowing. It snowed and rained all day. I have thought of Kim all day. I hope she isn’t sick with the flu. She had a cold and riding all day on that bus and waiting at the bus terminals. I’m afraid she isn’t too good tonight. They got to Fairfield at 7:30 tonight. The AFS group.

 

 

 

Thursday, March 10, 1983 RAIN

 

I got ready and went to town with Betty. I came home. Done the dinner etc. then watched TV soaps. It has rained so awful hard all day. I have thought of Kim all day. I hope she is okay. I know she is very tired. Billie went to the Dr., he is quite discouraged. He has got to have a catheterization test, possibly open heart surgery. It is costing him so much.

 

 

 

Friday, March 11, 1983 Hair Set, CARMEN CAME HOME

 

A day of clouds but not rain. A much better day than yesterday. I got up, got breakfast, done up the work, took a bath. Washed part of the washing. Went down and got my hair set. Came home, did all the windows, did the rest of the washing. I made a orange pudding. Betty and Dorothea left at about 1 PM to go get Carmen. WCSH went off the air, the tower collapsed on top of Winn Mountain in Sebago. It coated up with ice.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment