The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

May 26 - 29, 1983

 

Thursday, May 26, 1983 Another miserable day

 

This is the most miserable disgusting weather, day in and day out. No sun at all. I done up the work and went shopping. Carmen took us. I came home, got something for them to eat. Billie don’t feel very good, very sore and lame. He slept all PM. David here this morning for a visit. Six eggs.

 

 

 

Friday, May 27, 1983

 

Another miserable rainy day. It is so sickening, a hate hate hate it. I got my work done up then I got ready and went down to Barbara’s. Got my hair set. I done up the noon work, watched TV programs to keep from watching that old rain come down. Billie more rested today, he is a dite better. Six eggs. ARENA DAY at LRHS. Kim is signed up now for next year’s (her senior) classes. She said they feel as though they are seniors now and they are.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 28, 1983

 

Some sun today and it was a dite better weather. I done up my work, cleaned up the house, made bread, cake and baked beans. David called. Bill and I called up to Dorothea’s to see her shop and the new calf. Her shop looks so nice and her house does too. Carmen gone all day to Portland. Kim called today, she helped me setting plants out. Six eggs.

 

 

 

Sunday, May 29, 1983 Earthquake

Today there was some sunshine and not too bad a day. We went to the Cemetery and put the plants and flowers in. Fern went and she came back here and stayed for the day. She enjoyed that. Betty and Walt called also Dorothea and David. Carmen and Lisa to the concert today. An earthquake in Rumford area early this a.m. Billie heard and felt it. Six eggs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment