The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, August 6, 2022

March 23 - 26, 1983

 

Wednesday, March 23, 1983

 

Cloudy. Some sun. I done up the regular work and washed a small wash. Carmen had the vet today to give the horses shots and Ebony’s teeth checked. Her teeth were bad and Flicka’s too. Carmen went to Portland to get her asthma shot. She took Bill’s car and went alone. I didn’t do much today. Kim came up for milk. Dorothea was gone most of the day.

 

 

 

Thursday, March 24, 1983

 

To town with Delores and Betty. I didn’t do too much work. Odds and end jobs. Dorothea came and got milk. They came, the doctor, and gave the horses their feet splinted etc.

 

 

 

Friday, March 25, 1983 got pullets

 

I’ve been busy all day. I washed, washed windows, cleaned up the house. Carmen called. Kim up for a little while. Bill and Billie out off and on. A nice day. Billie went up to Rumford and got the pullets this PM.

 

 

 

Saturday, March 26, 1983 ROGER SMITH

 

A nice day. I done up the work. I made poor bread, rolls, cake and beans. About 11 AM Kim’s friend Roger Smith from Unity College came. We all met him and appears to be a nice guy. I hope he and Kim will get to be good friends.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment