The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, August 22, 2022

May 22 - 25, 1983 Billie Home From Hospital

Sunday, May 22, 1983 peas

 

A quite nice day. Sunny and mild. A rainy day was expected. No one was sorry that it did not rain. I wish we could get many more. Bill harrowed or rototilled the garden and planted a few peas. I done regular work, picked a few dandelions. Bill and I got the screens up. I cleaned them and had to wash some of the windows on the outside then he puts screens on. Dorothea and David down to see Billie. He still isn’t very good. Has a cold now. He is discouraged. Brud called on him and Verna. Brud called here and Dobbins was here also. Hortons fenced and worked all day.

 

 


 

Monday, May 23, 1983 DAVID HAS ANOTHER CALF, HEIFER, RAIN

 

Just another one of the regular. A dreary gray dismal rainy day. I expect it will be like this until first of July. I did my washing and put a rinse on my hair. Picked my safe over. Betty and Carmen down to see Billie. He was much better than yesterday. Bill sitting around all day.

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 24, 1983 BILLIE HOME

 

Billie came home in late PM from Maine Medical Center. He looks bad, is very lame and sore. He was glad to get home. We was glad he got home. I had a Turkey supper. Carmen went and got him. Walt, Carmen and Zak here for supper. Carmen got a permanent. Betty working at the camp for a guy. Dorothea working at her shop. Butch brought to beef cattle.

 

 

 

Wednesday, May 25, 1983

 

At last a sunny day. Well we saw sun today, that was so good. Billie slept well last night. David came down this morning, he and Bill and Billie had coffee and talked. David helped to put the manure spreader away. Bill and I went over to the summer house where Betty and Carmen was working. They called in on their way to work. Kim came up after school. She walked with Billie way down in the field, too far I’m afraid. Bill and I got the flowers to set out. Susan and Monica called after supper.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment