The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, August 3, 2022

March 12 - 15, 1983

 

Saturday, March 12, 1983 RAINED HARD

 

It rained very hard all day. I was very busy all day. I done up the regular work. Made cookies, cream puffs. I made bread. Dorothea and David called. I read magazines. Betty, Walt, John, Carmen, and Zak all over to the summer cottage he bought.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 13, 1983 KIM ON WAY HOME, At Last Sunshine

 

Well it has finally cleared off. I done up the work, got up at seven. Carmen up for breakfast. Today Kim comes home. I have missed her a lot. She gets back to the school at 8:30 tonight. Betty will pick her up at 9:30. John is taking the Horton’s out for a lobster supper. Well we, Betty, Carmen, Tara and I, all met Kim at school at about 9:30. She was pooped. She had a good time and saw many interesting things. I missed her.

 

 

 

Monday, March 14, 1983 “sun” this morning

 


Well we saw the sun this morning after one solid week of rain. It sure looks good. I did the washing and ironing. Billie went to the auction down to Main’s. He got very tired. Carmen came up, she went to town. Got me a few things. Bill in and out. It was a beautiful day, mild. Kim called after school, but Betty called her home. She was glad to be home.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 15, 1983

 

A cloudy gray day. In PM it rained a lot. Carmen to North Windham and got her hair done. She came home and had supper here. We had her favorite fish smoked finnan haddie. Billie and Heidi took their walk. The snow is nearly all gone now. It has rained so hard at times today. Walt came home, not feeling very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment