The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, August 10, 2022

April 8 - 10, 1983

 


 

 

 

Friday, April 8, 1983

 

Cloudy and foggy in a.m., it cleared pretty good. About noon it is mild. I washed my windows, changed the beds, swept, done up the regular work, took a bath. Then I went down to Betty’s, we wrapped Kim’s birthday gifts. I came home, did a good wash, got supper. David called this morning. Billie out raking. I don’t think he should. Kim has guest tonight. Walt got home early in PM.

 

 

 

Saturday, April 9, 1983 a beautiful day

 

I done up the regular work. Made a chocolate fudge layer cake, rolls and bread. Billie and Bill raked some more and cleaned up outside. Betty, Walt and kids cleaned and raked their yard. Kim worked tonight.

 

 

 

Sunday, April 10, 1983 KIM’S BIRTHDAY CELEBRATED

 

Cloudy and late at night it began to snow and rain. I got the work done up. Got the dinner or lunch then got ready and went down to Betty’s for Kim’s 17th birthday. She got a very pretty prom dress, shoes or dancing slippers and clutch purse, new sneakers (NIKI), jewelry, things for her doll collection. Money etc. etc. A pretty cake made by Dorothea. Fern, Dawn and Dorothea and us was there. Verna and Kathy called.

 







No comments:

Post a Comment