The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, August 17, 2022

May 4 - 7, 1983 Billie Home From Hospital

 

Wednesday, May 4, 1983 DID LIVING ROOM, BILLIE CAME HOME FROM MMC

 

A cloudy showery day until about two or 3 o’clock then it cleared off. I got my work done and began to work in living room. Dorothea came and she took over and cleaned the living room walls. Then she went home and I started to clean the rest of it. She came back and we cleaned all the rest of that and about 3:00 PM Billie called. He was discharged. So Dorothea got ready and went and got him. He was glad to get home, but he has got to go for the operation as soon as they can get him in. Bill got his sand hauled today. Betty finished cleaning her house today. Zak, Betty and Kim came up.

 

 

 

Thursday, May 5, 1983

 

A quite nice day, some clouds around. I did up my work, made a apple pie, cinnamon roll. I went to town, came home, got lunch. Cleaned up the kitchen, took care of groceries. Went out, picked some dandelions. I got a chicken on to cook. We had a very good chicken dinner tonight. Zak track running.

 

 

 

Friday, May 6, 1983

 

Very nice day. I called at Betty’s a little while this morning. Her house looks so nice. I came home and cleaned the breezeway this afternoon, now all I have left to do is the kitchen. Betty and Dorothea will do it. Betty cleaned her cellar and horse barn, now she is all done. She did very well. Zak played ball again tonight. Bill worked on the back porch foundation. Billie went for a walk with Heidi. He and David went to Norway.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 7, 1983 first egg

 

A very nice mild day. Quite windy. It helps to dry out the awful wet muddy ground. I done my Saturday work. Billie and the Hortons mowed lawns. Zak helped Betty with his. Billie, Walt, Zak and Betty got the picnic tables up. Bill worked on the back porch. Kim down to school this forenoon for tests. She worked tonight.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment