The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, August 30, 2022

June 21 - 24, 1983

 

Tuesday, June 21, 1983

 

A very nice hot day. I washed and ironed. I made a salad. Betty, Zak and Kim called. It was clear and sunny this morning. Betty over to Norway today. She and Walt out for supper tonight again. Betty called in PM and Carmen here for supper, also Zak. Kim is babysitting tonight. Dorothea called today. Carmen found a kitten this morning up in the road and brought it home. Bill to the Dr. for his Barium test. He didn’t feel too good, but after he ate he felt better.

 

Jake and with Tara


 

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 22, 1983 COW CAME HOME

 

Ellie May was some pleased to get home. She knew right where she was. Billie was tired when he got her milked at night. It is good having her back. Dorothea called. Joy brought Billie some decaffeinated tea. Bill worked for Betty again. They want to get that work done. I worked at my desk today. Billie done some odd jobs.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 23, 1983 HOT

 

A quite nice day. I went to town with Dorothea. Betty was over to the Norway camp and Bill getting it ready for the tenants to move in this weekend. I came home, it was very hot. I had Italian sandwiches for supper. Betty got them over to Norway. Carmen home early from work.

 

 

 

Friday, June 24, 1983 A MAYTAG WASHER AND DRYER

 

A nice day. I done regular house work, made a custard, did a wash. Then in PM Betty and Ray Stanford brought Betty’s washer and dryer up here. She took my old one and sold it to John, the guys she works for.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment