The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

October 8 - 12, 1986

Wednesday, October 8, 1986 Carmen got her cleaning done, NOW the baby can come.

 

A nice day. I got up earlier. Got the work done up, made a pie, ironed. Got ready, did a dite of cleaning. Billie and I over to Oxford to get some more squash. They are so good. Carmen done my shopping today. She got the rest of the cleaning done today. She brought the groceries over.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 9, 1986

 

A nice day, very warm and mild all forenoon. In late PM it got colder. Billie and I over to Harrison. I finished cleaning up the living room, it is all done now. I got to do rest of the windows etc. next week. Betty called, they are working at Betty’s. R. Stanford doing electrical work, two ladies are papering and painting. Bill got haircut today.

 

 

 

Friday, October 10, 1986 meat back, Kim called tonight, CARMEN’S TIME EXPIRES TODAY

 

A beautiful day. Clear and pretty. It was on the cold side. I did a wash. Got ready. Bill and I up to Ava Grover Hunt’s. She has been very sick. In the hospital in New York while visiting her son. She came home and still is very sick. I took some papers back I had read. Watched soaps. Billie’s foot not good. Tonight Kim called from her new home in Lynn Massachusetts. She likes her job and all is okay now for her. She is working as a dental receptionist in Marblehead. No baby on this day.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 11, 1986

 

I done regular work, washed floors, baked beans and made a squash pie. A quite nice day. Milan called also Betty and Carmen.

 

 

  

Sunday, October 12, 1986

 

Walt up for coffee in the morning. I done up the work. David came down. Milan, Betty and I called on Fern. Dorothea at Jeff’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment