The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

January 20 - 23, 1987 Betty and Milan Both Home From Hospital

Tuesday, January 20, 1987 Milan to NCM hospital

 

I did a ironing. Carmen came and cleaned the house. She went to the store. Bill been reading. I worked on my puzzle. Bill down to see Betty today, also Dorothea. Walt asked Milan if he would go and pick Betty up tomorrow which he planned to do but he had a piece of food lodged in his throat and they put him into intensive care and tried to get it dissolved but it couldn’t so they are going to take him to CM G Hospital tomorrow.

 

 

 

Wednesday, January 21, 1987 BETTY HOME

 

Today Betty came home from NCM hospital after being operated on Thursday the 15th. She was very sick. She collapsed and then was rushed right to the operating room. She was bleeding internally. We was very worried and upset. I went down to her house. Also Betty and Carmen. They cleaned the house, changed the beds. It looked very nice. Betty got tired and weak. Well this morning they transferred Milan by ambulance to Central Maine General Hospital in Lewiston. They was quite worried about his problem. Walt and John didn’t get home till 7 PM. Betty talked with Zack. His exams are all over. He is coming home. Milan to the CMG hospital.

 

 

 

Thursday, January 22, 1987 A BAD STORM

 

Cloudy in PM and a storm started. I done up my work. I went down to Betty’s. Carmen and Brogan came. Dorothea and Betty went to Lewiston hospital and got Milan. They moved the particle in his throat down. He was feeling better but his throat was sore. I hope you will be better. I stayed with Betty most of the day. I got a pot roast ready for her today. She is feeling better but weak. Carmen left Brogan while she went shopping and to work. The snow increased this afternoon, the wind blowed in evening. One week ago today Betty was operated on.

 

 


 

Friday, January 23, 1987 Plowed Snow

 

A nice sunny day after the bad storm. After the awful storm of last night John and Walt came up and did the shoveling. Phonie didn’t come until about 5 PM to plow. Bill got his car stuck out here in the yard. He shouldn’t have taken it out, it smoked and tires spun. I hope it didn’t do any harm to it. I worked on puzzle. John left early PM. Zack called this p.m. He was in Washington with Ed Johnson family staying there tonight.

Trinna


John McEnanay

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment