The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, August 16, 2023

December 3 - 6, 1986

 

Wednesday, December 3, 1986 $399 $174

 

This has been a very heavy rainy day. It rained so hard. I been working at the desk all day. Christmas orders and doing the bills. Carmen came and cleaned this afternoon. Also shopped. The soaps are very good today. I called Kim tonight and talked.

 

 

 

Thursday, December 4, 1986 a nice sunny day

 

A beautiful day. I did a big wash, made a beef stew. It was very good. Also I made a batch of brownies. Billie down town and over to Norway. Milan called. Betty, Dorothea and Betty all went to New Hampshire shopping. They did a lot for me. Cassie was away all afternoon down in the woods. This has been a very nice sunny day, on the cool side. Carmen and Brogan babysat with Fern today.

 

 

 

Friday, December 5, 1986 FILTER Hook up

 

A beautiful day. I done up my work, did a big ironing. Watched all programs. I made a apple pie. Down to Betty’s for a little while, she had Brogan. I held her a little while. She changes every day. She is a sweet innocent child. Dennis and Carmen out shopping. Bill over to Carmen’s. They came and hooked up washing machine and dryer. Then they came here and fixed water pipes for the toilet seat. The trap in the bathroom (white) then Larry Thomas came after supper and put the filter on the kitchen sink.

 

 

 

Saturday, December 6, 1986

 

When we got up it was sunny and clear then it clouded up until p.m. Then cleared again and a nice clear evening. I was busy all a.m. I got the morning work done then I washed floors, vacuumed, dusted. I read B News. Carmen and Brogan called. She left Brogan while she did some errands downtown. David and Milan called in a.m., had coffee. David did some odd jobs for Billie.





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment