The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, August 2, 2023

October 13 - 16, 1986

 

Monday, October 13, 1986 sent Zack’s radio

 

Kind of a mixed cloudy day, fog, rain and sun and not very good. Milan and Carlton went up to Mount Katahdin for a overnight trip. I did my washing. Billie and I down to get some potatoes. Carmen and Dennis called. Betty called in also. In evening Dorothea called. Sent Zack’s radio to him. No mail, no school. Columbus Day.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 14, 1986 NEW WASHER AND DRYER

 

This is been a miserable day, cloudy and rain. Carmen and Betty here. They cleaned the house. Carmen did grocery shopping. We didn’t see General Hospital. Games in PM and games at night. Billie’s foot very sore. Bill has gout. This PM Thurlow brought a new washer and dryer. I washed with that. I’m very glad to get them. Maytags.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 15, 1986 horses and colt over to Carmen and Dennis

 

A beautiful day. Clear and sunny all day. I cleaned my oven and electric stove. Also refrigerator inside and out this morning. Also over to Carmen’s when they took the baby colt and her mother over to live there for the winter. I did my ironing in PM. Watched two shows, but because of the ballgame didn’t get to see General Hospital. Bill has gout. Billie up to Dorothea’s. Milan called this morning. Bill and I over to Carmen’s when they took  horses over.

 


 

 

Thursday, October 16, 1986 Carmen to the doctors

 

A partly cloudy day, some sun, some clouds. Carmen to the doctor. She had a few pains last night so the Dr. examined her and says the baby is coming breach. So he made arrangements for her to come in at 6:30 tomorrow morning and they will operate and take IT. Dorothea called this PM. Also Carmen here. Cassie got her foot hurt today. It was bleeding. John McEnerney called at Walt and Betty’s for a few days.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment