The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, August 19, 2023

December 14 - 17, 1986

Sunday, December 14, 1986

 

A nice day, on the cool side. I got up about 7:30. I got the breakfast. Walt came and Milan. I done up my work. Dorothea and Betty H called. She brought Bill and us a gift. Later Carmen and Dennis called and Brogan. They left Brogan and they hauled hay, a few bales. Billie up to Dorothea’s. David came and put up the lights outside. I wrote to Carlton and Phyllis and Pat and Ervin. Milan and Betty called to see the tree. They had been up with Fern while Dorothea was away.

 

 

 

Monday, December 15, 1986

 

Well a mostly cloudy day. I done up my work. And the washing. I made a Swiss steak for supper. Milan called. Bill coming down with a cold. I been doing cards.

 

 

 

Tuesday, December 16, 1986

 

A partly cloudy day. Carmen came, cleaned the house. I did a wash. Carmen went to town, done a few errands. Bill has an awful cold. Billie to the Dr. (Doyle). He says everything is quite good except they want to keep watch of that heel. Brogan is very cute and smart. We enjoyed her a lot.

 

 

 

Wednesday, December 17, 1986 PERM, Betty got a perm

 

It has been cloudy all day. I got up, got my work done. Took a bath, shampooed my hair. Down to Barbara’s and got my permanent. Got home about noon. I got lunch, watched soaps. Milan and Betty called. Betty called. She got a perm to today. Bill sick with cold all p.m. He didn’t eat anything for supper. I finished all Christmas cards tonight. Vince and Al was over for some water tonight, there pump is busted. I talked with Kim. Eddie is home from sea for good. She is happy. I talked with Carmen. Brogan didn’t have her shots, will later at the doctors over to Norway, the one that delivered her. Billie to Dr. Goldenhar. He wants him to get some shoes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment