The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

November 29 - December 2, 1986 Zak Goes Back to VA

 

Saturday, November 29, 1986

 

Well it has been mostly cloudy all day, a dite of sun in late PM. I was busy all day. I done up regular work. I swept, dusted, washed floors, got the beans in. I did ironing. Milan and David here this morning for coffee. Zack came up for breakfast. I hate the thought of is going back tomorrow. He and Walt went Christmas shopping today. Betty Smith called, also Betty H in PM.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 30, 1986 Zack left to go back to school

 

A beautiful day. Sunny, on the windy side. Well Zack left about 11 in a.m. to return to school. Kim said they would meet him at Logan airport. He looked very nice in his uniform. I hated to see him leave. I hope he does very well at school. Betty and Walt took him to the airport. Carmen called. I got the Scotland cards ready to go and Thena’s. Bill to town. Billie up to David’s.

 

Monday, December 1, 1986

 

A nice sunny day. I did the wash. Made an orange pie. Cooked a turkey Thanksgiving dinner for us tonight. Turkey, mashed potatoes,turnip, boiled onions, hot bread and pie. Very good. Milan called. He and Billie over to Norway and Waterford. Zack back at school. Only has three weeks then he will be home for Christmas.

 

 

 

Tuesday, December 2, 1986

 

Clear when we got up, but it clouded up. I done up the work. Then I looked over the Christmas books etc. I made a meat loaf for supper. I made out the list for Christmas gifts. Dorothea to Portland and did her shopping. She had good luck. Carmen and Brogan babysits for Dorothea while she was away.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment