The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, August 5, 2023

October 22 - 25, 1986

Wednesday, October 22, 1986

 

Very nice sunny mild day. I got up early. I started the kitchen. Bill, Betty and I went over to Carmen’s to babysit while she went shopping. Dennis was rototilling his garden. Milan took it over to him to use. He got it all done. Betty gave Brogan a bath, fed her. I helped her too. She is the cutest little baby that I’ve ever seen for a long time. Betty up here and washed all w to bastards and getting tired of this indows on the outside. I washed them on the inside. Made a cake. Carmen called. I got the curtains ironed and got supper. Washed a house full of dishes. Billie helped to put the curtains up.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 23, 1986 BROGAN ALYSSA HORTON WILLETTE, SEPTIC PUMPED, OIL, DOROTHEA TO DR.

 

Brogan Alyssa came and made her first visit at her great-grandparents and great uncle’s house today. She is a beautiful child. Oil man came, also they came and pumped the septic tank today. I finished cleaning the kitchen today. All day doing it. Cloudy, showery rain and sun shine today. Dennis working today. Dorothea called in on her way home today. She had been to the doctors. She has got to go on a medication and heat rays will do. On the windy side today.

 


 

 

Friday, October 24, 1986

 

A beautiful day, on the still windy side. I vacuumed, dusted. I made two squash pies and chocolate chip cookies. Betty up here for a little visit today. First time she sat down and visit since we ever lived here I do believe. She brought up a nice letter from Zack. Can’t wait to see him. Milan and Betty here in PM. Carmen and Dennis and daughter Brogan called on Grandpa and Grammy today.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 25, 1986

 

A beautiful day. I got the work done up. Washed the floors. David came. He brought Billie’s grain to him. Carmen came down to Betty’s. She and Brogan. About 1 o’clock Eddie and Kim came with truck to get some things to move home tomorrow. Carmen called in PM. Dennis had to work for his father. Kim and Eddie looks good. Billie worked outside all day. His foot was bad tonight.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment