The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, August 27, 2023

January 13 - 15, 1987 Betty Has Emergency Surgery

Tuesday, January 13, 1987

 

A nice clear day, cold and windy. Carmen came, she cleaned the house and went to town to shop. Brogan home with her father. I made some jelly. Milan called. I been busy all forenoon. Walt down to Rhode Island to see Aunt Vi. She isn’t very good. Betty called a little while. Heard the coyotes awful loud last night, out here in the field. Fern not too good, on the weak side. Her mind is a little shaky at times. I guess it is her medication.

 

 

 

Wednesday, January 14, 1987

 

A very nice sunny day, on the mild side. I made two apple pies, did the ironing. And other odd jobs. Watched the TV soaps. Billie up after milk. Bill to town. I talked with Kim tonight. She sounded depressed and kind of unhappy. I don’t know whether it is unhappiness or she is home sick. Betty out to lunch with two of her friends this noon.

 



 

 

 

 

Thursday, January 15, 1987 BETTY LOUISE CROOK HORTON OPERATED ON TODAY

 

Cloudy. Mild. Well I got a phone call  early this morning from Walt at NCM hospital. They or Walt took Betty down last night to the hospital at about 6 PM suppertime. She thought it was food poisoning. She went back home and later she got sick at home again. Walt took her back at about 4 AM. She was so sick and kept getting worse. She couldn’t lie down in bed so she had to sit in a lounging position. And a little after 3 PM she was bleeding and very bad pain so they took her to the operating room. They operated, complete hysterectomy. She was so sick and in awful pain. It will be bad and so sore for a long time. Dorothea was here. Milan and Betty and I called Joy and Kim tonight. I’ll be so glad when Betty is over all of this. Walt and Dorothea was there during the operation.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment