The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, August 10, 2023

November 11 - 14, 1986

 

Tuesday, November 11, 1986

 

Snow again. It began to snow again today then still accumulated piles on side of road and field, left of the storm of last week. Carmen came over today. Cleaned up. I took care of Brogan. We got to watch soaps today. I made a desert for supper. Bill over to Carmen’s to help her start the furnace.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 12, 1986

 

Partly cloudy day was some sun. I got up early to get ready to go shopping. Betty H, Betty S, Dorothea, Carmen and I all went for a shopping trip up to North Conway the MV shopping center. I got a lot of things for home use. Face powder etc. Dorothea, Betty S and Betty H did a lot of Christmas shopping. We had a nice day and a good time. All enjoyed it very much. Came home, had a fried chicken supper that we got at the store.

 

 

 

Thursday, November 13, 1986

 

I did a wash, also ironed. Got things started for supper. Watched TV soaps. Miss Zack. Thank goodness he will be home in a couple weeks.

 

 

 

Friday, November 14, 1986

 

It was cold today, not a very good day. I did a wash. Watched soaps, no more till Monday. Betty called. She brought up Zack’s letter. Carmen called, they were down to Betty’s for supper.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment