The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, August 21, 2023

December 22 - 24, 1986 Christmas Eve

 

Monday, December 22, 1986

 

A pretty good day. Betty, Carmen and I over to Norway to grocery shop. Yes Zack too. We got done and got home at about 2 PM. I got to watch most of the programs is PM. Lorraine came up late this PM. She brought a very good picture, it was taken at her, Lorraine and Phonie’s wedding. (Mama, Kennard, Kennie, Robert, Fern and I). Very good. I’m very pleased with it.

 

 

 

Tuesday, December 23, 1986 mild

 

A quite nice day. I frosted cakes, done some wrapping, down to Betty’s. Also Betty Smith. We made cornballs, fudge, had a good time. Milan was there. Bill called. After I got home Carmen called, she washed the windows on the outside. She took Joy and Susan’s cakes to them for me. Also to town for us. She is so busy when she gets here. Fern is in the hospital, she still has the bowel troubles. Milan down to see her, also Dorothea.

 

 

 

Thursday, December 24, 1986

 

This has been a beautiful day. Been very busy all day. I made a lemon sponge and custard pie, also a batch of fudge. Carmen came, she washed the windows on the inside and swept, dusted, washed floors, wrapped some gifts. Then I cooked a oyster stew for supper. After supper I prepared the snacks. Took a bath, went down to Milan and Betty’s for their Christmas. Carmen, Brogan, Kim, Eddie, Zack, Betty, Walt, Bill, Billie and me. They had a lot of nice gifts and good food. They came here, we had our gifts. Very nice and useful. We had a break, food and coffee, chocolate milk and egg nog. The same group was here that was there. We was all glad to see Eddie and Kim after about four weeks. We missed Fern.

 












 

No comments:

Post a Comment