The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, August 4, 2023

October 19 - 21, 1986 Brogan and Carmen Home from Hospital

 

Sunday, October 19, 1986

 

A nice day, sunny. On the coolish side. I got up early. Got Bill and Billie’s breakfast. Walt came up and had coffee. I done up my work and waited for Kim to come up for breakfast. She came, we ate after she helped with the dishes. She went home and began to get ready to go back home to Lynn Massachusetts. She took the two cats with her. I hope they will be okay. No suffering. She got her car packed and left to go about 2 PM. Carlton and Phyllis called to say goodbye. Hated to see them go.

 

 

 

Monday, October 20, 1986

 

A beautiful day. I got up, got the breakfast, done up the washing. Betty came, I went to town. I sent my two letters. I came home, got a pot roast in. Peeled apples, made applesauce. Two apple pies. Didn’t get to see much of the programs. Watched them in the kitchen. It was a big job getting onions, carrots and potatoes ready, peeling all the apples, pies etc. Billie to the doctor. He took out rest of those stitches which had caused infection. Then he went back to the eye Dr. in Casco. John took Betty and Walt out for supper. Betty over to see Brogan and Carmen.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 21, 1986 GOT OIL TODAY, BROGAN came home today, we all was so glad to see her

 

Clear most of the day then it got cloudy and showers in PM. I got the work done up and did the ironing. Then we got ready and I went over to Carmen’s to wait for them to come home from Stephens Memorial at Norway. Carmen and Brogan. Her father went and picked them up. Betty, Betty Smith and I all went over then Billie came and was there when she came home. Carmen was pleased to get home. Her home looks so nice and clean inside and out. OIL.

 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment