The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, December 2, 2022

May 24 - 27, 1984

 

Thursday, May 24, 1984

 

It has been a quite windy day, on the coolish side. I done up my work. Betty went to Norway and Betty Smith and I went. She took us up to John’s cottage. We had a lunch. I got a few necessary things, shampoo, envelopes, pens, hair rinse. Came home. Billie, Zak and Milan down to Fern’s trying to get the lawn mower to going. I got supper of Italian sandwiches I got over to Norway. Carmen called after supper. I am worried about her. She is in quite a nervous state. I’ll be glad when her day comes of awakening. She finds out what she is getting into.

 

 

 

Friday, May 25, 1984 Milan and Betty left for home

 

A partly cloudy day. It warmed up again. I have been very busy all day. I did the regular work. I did the wash. A big one. Then I did some cleaning in the blue bathroom. Not much more to do in either one of them. Bill and Billie worked over Fern’s mower and got the lawn all mowed. Then they came home and mowed these lawns. Milan and Betty left for home about 7 AM. Betty cleaned her barn today so all of her cleaning is done.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 26, 1984

 

A clear hot day. I done up the regular work. A lot of odd and end jobs. I baked beans. Bill and Billie planted the garden. Billie did trimming on lawn. Billie brought up some screens and I cleaned them and he put them on.

 

 

 

Sunday, May 27, 1984

 

A nice sunny day. It was on the hot side. I done up regular work. Betty and I got the flowers for Cemetery. Called at Fern’s a little while. Dorothea and David called first time in a long time. Also Walt. Betty and Walt hooked up the telephone Zak gave it to me for Christmas. It is very red. I will sure enjoyed it a lot. Billie finished trimming. He and Betty put the green ball out.

No comments:

Post a Comment