The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, December 4, 2022

June 1 - 3, 1984

 

Friday, June 1, 1984 $522, Fern to doctor, Floods

 

Today it has been another miserable rainy cloudy day. I got my wash done up. I went to Norway with Dorothea to take Fern over to the doctors to have her knee checked. Fern got upset and tired. She had to go into the hospital (Stephens Memorial) and have x-rays. I came home, got supper. Bill and Billie didn’t do much. The rivers are all flooded all over New Hampshire, Maine and parts of Massachusetts.

 

Kim's Last Day of High School (with Tara)

 

 

 

 

Saturday, June 2, 1984 Carmen has her own apartment

 

Supposed to be a nice day but it was cloudy and heavy rain. I done up my work and got ready and went to town, done some shopping. I came home, done some odd jobs and it rained so hard. I made some rolls. Carmen called, she has her own apartment at last. I hope it will turn out okay. She went down and paid Walt the car payment, told him about her house and Betty, Kim and Zak helped them to get moved in this PM. She is so pleased and relieved. I’m very happy for her. Kim out last night and very tired today. Thena called tonight also Verna. Thena’s looks have changed a lot. Dorothea and Dave went to Vermont to get David’s mother.

 

 





 

Sunday, June 3, 1984 At last a SUNNY Day

 

It was quite good and great to see the sun. I got up at about 7 AM, done the breakfast. Got the work done up. Betty came, she and I took some flowers to the Cemetery. We came home and found Carmen here after waiting from about 8 AM for her to come and they was going to help her with rest of her moving. She done other things in morning. In the late PM Zak and Betty helped her with her last load. Walt gone to Rhode Island for tonight. Dorothea and Iva called also they called at Fern’s. I made out my bills. Also set flowers out in the garden. Kim and Zak mowed, also Bill and Billie.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment