The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, December 26, 2022

August 19 - 21, 1984 Breakfast at Twin Oaks

Sunday, August 19, 1984

 

Kind of a partly cloudy day, some sunshine. On the cool side. I didn’t get up till 7:30. I got some coffee made for Billie and Bill. Milan came, he had some also. Then I got ready and we went up to Horton’s Twin Oaks for a cookout breakfast. Bacon, eggs, hash browns potatoes made by Milan. Orange juice, coffee, toast. A big surprise, Joy was there. She is improving. All the five Horton’s, Fern, Dorothea, Milan, Bill, Billie and me. Also Suzy Ingraham. She is a lively person to have around. We enjoyed it all then in PM went back for a cookout. It was so nice up there on the Lake. Carmen fished, Kim and Tara slept out on the dock. Milan fell into the water when he tried to get into the canoe. Got a great laugh out of that. Kim and Carmen rode bikes, Zak out in canoe. Showers late or after we got home tonight.

 

 

 

Monday, August 20, 1984

 

It rained last night and after we got up this morning showers. Then it cleared away.The sun came out about mid-day. David called this morning. Also Milan called and Betty. I did my washing and ironing. I got chance to watch all of the four TV programs today. Milan got the lumber for the Cemetery fence today. Milan, Kim up here for supper. We had a nice ham (baked), corn, squash and cukes. Baked potatoes etc. Cheesecake and coconut cake.

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 21, 1984

A nice sunny day, still on the cool side. I picked greens, swiss chard and froze them. Dorothea here in PM. She done Billie’s papers. Bill and I down to see how they was coming with the mill work at Betty’s. Betty, Milan and Zak sawing lumber for the cemetery fence. Billie mowed the pasture over, it looks good. Kim out looking for a job til she goes to school

No comments:

Post a Comment