The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, December 11, 2022

June 27 - 30, 1984 Esther Arrives

Wednesday, June 27, 1984 Esther came

 

A very nice sunny day and a pretty day. I got my work done up or most of it. Dorothea called and Betty came, also Kim. Haven’t seen her for a long time. She came home from camp last night and didn’t have to get back until after breakfast this morning. One of the counselors, Paul, brought her home. Betty and I took a back and we came and called at camp. I came home. Susan called and wanted to know if I would like to ride to the airport to meet Esther. I went. Got home about 5:30 PM. Esther looks good and was glad to see us. She and I called on Fern in evening. Also Chris and Monica.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 28, 1984

 

A very nice day with the threat of showers. We didn’t get any. Betty did the shopping. Then Dorothea, Iva and Betty went to North Conway to shop. They got me some fried chicken breast. Betty got her umbrella for her table (outside). Zak here doing lawns. David called, had coffee.

 

 

 

Friday, June 29, 1984 OIL

 

A mostly showery day. I done up the regular work and changed the beds and washed. Fern back to the hospital for checkup. Zak has his bike back again in use. Had a flat tire on it. Found the compound gun we have been hunting for it for a long time. They fertilized the garden and harrowed it. The strawberries are not doing very well this year. Only got one quart, also the birds are eating them as fast as they ripen.

 

 

 

Saturday, June 30, 1984 Susan Ingraham moved into Betty’s apartment today for a week

 

A mostly cloudy day. I dite of sun. I done up regular work, cleaned the house and washed floors. We combed Heidi out and picked only two boxes the berries. Susan Ingraham moved into Betty’s house today for a week. Billie out riding around today. A lot of people in town today.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment