The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, December 20, 2022

July 30 - August 2, 1984

 

Monday, July 30, 1984

 

It has been a fair day, some clouds toward night. It was quite mild again. I did a big washing and did all my ironing. Got beans and peas ready for supper. Betty and Zak called, also Kim home for a short visit. Bill about the same. Billie is showing improvements. Bobbie Stanford called to see Billie tonight.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 31, 1984 Hot

 

Not too bad a day. It was some cloudy but mostly sunshine 85 to 90° temps. I been busy, done regular work and a lot of odd jobs. One thing I made a chocolate homemade cake. Very good. First one I’ve made for a long long time. Bill to the doctors for checkup. Billie is feeling a dite better each day. Betty and Dorothea to Norway today. In evening Carmen and Betty called also Alan called to see Billie to tell him he will pay him the money he owes him soon. He went down, paid Walt $480 on Carmen’s car. Zak up to camp tonight.

 

 

 

Wednesday, August 1, 1984

 

A good day. I done regular work and a lot of odds and end jobs. Betty’s folks had company for supper. Walt’s friends. Billie getting better except for a swelling on his right leg.

 

 

 

Thursday, August 2, 1984

 

Betty to town and done my shopping. Then she took Billie down, he got a haircut and medicine. I picked vegetables. Made a pudding. Zak still sick, he is a dite better.

No comments:

Post a Comment