The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, December 14, 2022

July 9 - 12, 1984 Zak Shaved Billie!! hahaha

 

Monday, July 9, 1984 Billie much improved, Zak got haircut

 

It hasn’t been a good hay day at all, cloudy, cold, rain, showers. I did my washing. I went to see Billie. Esther and Zak went too. He was back to normal except he is very sore and in pain. His feet have feeling and warmth the whole length of them today. Zak shaved Billie. On our way home we drove out where Carmen works and saw her. She had to work tonight. Did well in tips over the weekend $95.

 

 

 Tuesday, July 10, 1984 went to see Billie, he isn’t coming along or his left leg as he should be

 

A quite nice day in a.m. it was sunny and the breeze on the warm side. I done up all the work. David came. He and Bill had coffee. He took the mowing machine up, trimmed along his walls. Betty and Dorothea gone all day antiquing, about 1:30 we got a call from Kim saying she could come home. Bill, Zak and I went up and got her. She can stay till 1 PM tomorrow. David invited us to come up with he and Dorothea to go to see Billie and out for supper. We went to theDeMillo’s on the sea or up in the bay. Had another surprise. Carmen came to see Billie to so she also was invited and we was so pleased to have her. We all enjoyed a very good supper. The place was crowded. Had to wait an hour. Billie is better but I am very worried about him.

 

 

 

Wednesday, July 11, 1984

 

I done up the regular work. I didn’t go to Portland or anyone went. Carmen had to work tonight at the sportsman’s girl. Zak mowing at Fern’s and Ilan’s.

 

 

 

Thursday, July 12, 1984

 

A very nice day. HOT. I got my work done up early. Bill and Zak did lawns. Dorothea and Betty down town. I done some washing and ironing. Esther came over today and here for the day, breakfast, dinner and supper. We talked and enjoyed it very much. She found a lot of four leaf clovers. She and I picked a few strawberries for supper. Betty and Walt to Portland to see Billie. He is about the same, don’t get up much. They went out to supper and took Carmen out also. She is some pleased about that.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment