The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, December 18, 2022

July 23 - 25, 1984

 

Monday, July 23, 1984

 

A very hot day and humid. It was cloudy part of the day. I got up early to get at my work. I defrosted the refrigerator on the breezeway. I did a big wash. Esther came over in the early a.m. 8 AM. She was on her way down to Betty’s for the day. They enjoyed the day. They went down and got some Italian sandwiches, crabmeat sandwiches. They ate up here. Also a pizza for Zak and Kim. Kim came home. (Bill went up to get her) and she and the dog rested all forenoon on the couch. Billie has had a miserable day but after Zak got his medication he finally had a bowel movement and got relief. It was awful the way he suffered. He went to the doctors this PM. Betty and Dorothea took him. Last but not least Carmen got her car wreck this PM by Alan. I’m sorry for her more ways than one. I’m worried about her, so much on her mind and hope she will come to her senses and dump that guy. He is a burden to her. Has been and always will be. Zak up tonight to take care of Billie.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 24, 1984 Carmen up tonight, Fern to NCM Hospital

 

Well, it was still very hot and humid when we got up. Cloudy too but after a few sprinkles it cleared and became sunny. And a nice breeze came up, away went the humidity left. Dorothea and Esther call. Es going up to Dorothea’s for the day. Fern is about the same. Dr. said she would be better tomorrow. Betty called also I picked some more peas today. Billie up and a lot better since he passed the solid stuff from bowels. He had a light dinner. I have thought of Carmen all day. I would do anything I could to help her. Carmen came up, she is quite upset about all of her problems.

 

 

 

Wednesday, July 25, 1984

 

A very nice day, sunny, clear, a little breezy. Not as hot or uncomfortable. I got the work done up and got ready to pick my peas. Betty came and I went down to her house to see the car. Also up into the Heritage Room. Also rest of the house, it looks very nice and clean all around inside and out. Then I came home and picked the peas, Swiss chard greens. Jill Weeks brought us some blueberries and I made a pie for supper. Then Es came over and said goodbye. She, Susan and Monica. Then Betty and I went down to see Fern, she is better.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment