The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, December 7, 2022

June 11 - 14, 1984

 

Monday, June 11, 1984 Heifer bred (Guernsey)

 

I done up my (blank). Did the washing. Kim came up for a little while. She has been inquiring for jobs today. She went to Norway with Betty and Dorothea to take Fern over to the doctors. Fern will go to the hospital for her leg. I did a big ironing.

 

 

 

Tuesday, June 12, 1984

 

A nice sunny day. Not as hot. I done up my regular work. Watched the programs. Then Billie and I went down cellar and finished cleaning it. It is too bad the cellar is such an awful mess. Oil all over the cement floor, black soot from the furnace all over the walls, ceiling and everything that is down there. A mess, we cleaned it anyway. Betty and Kim called. Betty cleaned her cellar. I wrote to Esther. Bill put a electric wire for a plug on the back porch. The garden is coming good now.

 

 

 

Wednesday, June 13, 1984

 

I done regular work, made a pudding, macaroni salad. Got ready, cooked some steaks outside. Today Betty, Dorothea and Iva took Fern to Norway hospital for her knee. She has arthritis and they flushed out some of the calcium. Hope she will be a lot better and can get around on it. Bill got the back porch light to going. Billie to get some bedding but didn’t have any.

 

 

 

Thursday, June 14, 1984

 

It has rained today. Betty and Kim done my shopping. Kim up to Waterford to see about a job. Fern came home. I done some figuring today. Worked at my desk.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment