The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, December 16, 2022

July 16 - 19, 1984

 

Monday, July 16, 1984

 

A cloudy day with showers. A real heavy one tonight. I went to town this morning. Esther came too. Bill took us. I came home and did a lot of work, a big washing. Cooked a chicken for supper. Zak here all day. Billie no better or worse.

 

 

 

Tuesday, July 17, 1984

 

A very nice sunny day. Not too hot. A nice surprise. Carmen called, had a little visit with her. Picked about half a peck of peas from our garden today. I went down to Fern’s. Bill and I went down and got Thena, we went to Fern’s. Esther was there. They served dessert and tea. A very nice blueberry pie and apple pie. We had a nice afternoon. Came home, got supper. Then another good surprise. Kim came home very briefly. Zak up today. He mowed Ilan’s lawn.

 

 

 

Wednesday, July 18, 1984 DOROTHEA TO A DOCTOR FOR HER SCOLIOSIS,  Last of Ellie May’s milk

 

It has been a rainy day. I cooked a pot roast. Made a pudding. I used up the last of Ellie May’s good milk today. I still have a quart of her cream left. Betty and Zak called. Billie about the same.

 

 

 

Thursday, July 19, 1984

 

A great day. A nice hay day. Butch mowed rest of McDonald’s, going to begin mowing Walt’s tomorrow. Bill and Zak did the lawns and trimmed. I washed, done up the housework. Put a rinse on my hair. I picked peas and strawberries. Zak helped me. Bill cultivated the garden. Betty done my shopping. She called a few times. Dorothea here just a little while. Billie is beginning to feel better. Susan, Esther and Monica called this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment