The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, December 19, 2022

July 26 - 29, 1984 Esther Left For Florida

 

Thursday, July 26, 1984 Esther left for home

 

A very nice day. First thing I did was to have Bill take me down to do my shopping. I hate to have to walk around. I came home and finished my washing. Betty went to Rhode Island with Walt today. Got home about 10 PM. Zak here for supper. David came this morning, done some chores for Billie. Billie is okay except his bowels. Dorothea called in evening. Dorothea and I went down to see Fern at NCM hospital. She is about the same. Esther left for Florida from here about 8:30, from the airport at 11. She said she enjoyed her visiting.

 

 

 

Friday, July 27, 1984

 

We had a nice sunny forenoon than clouded up and rain showers. I done up regular work. Made a pudding, a cabbage salad. Bill mowed the weeds in the garden. Billie seemed a little better. He don’t have any luck going to the bathroom as yet. Tonight Carmen came up to her home to stay all night.

 

 

 

Saturday, July 28, 1984

 

It started out to be a wet cloudy rainy day but it cleared and was very nice, sunny and clear and quite warm too. I done up my work after breakfast. Made bread, washed floors. Swept, dusted, changed Billie’s bed. He is beginning to feel kind of loggy because of his bowels. Carmen, Betty called. We went down to Fern’s house. Then came home. Carmen and Zak had lunch here. After I got cleaned up I took a bath, got ready. Dorothea and I down to see Fern. Bert was there, the two Dudley girls came. Then Carmen, Kim and Betty called. Carmen here for supper. Kim back to work. Betty and Walt out for wedding anniversary. Zak up to camp for the night alone.

 

 

 

Sunday, July 29, 1984

 

A nice day. I done up my regular work. Kim home for a little while. Betty and Walt over to Tom and Charlene’s for a long visit and supper, lobster. They had a very good time. Dorothea, David took Bill and I out for a shore dinner at Richard’s in Sebago. Very good. David called to see about a tractor. He has bought it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment