The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, November 30, 2022

May 17 - 20, 1984 Poppa Home Again

Thursday, May 17, 1984

 

A fair day. Not too warm. I finished the radiators. I went to town in PM with Dorothea, lost most of the programs. Betty cleaned her den and bathroom. Milan and Betty called. Milan and Betty and I down to the hospital tonight. Dorothea came too. Bill may be home tomorrow.

 

 

 

Friday, May 18, 1984 Bill home again

 

A very nice day. I did the windows and did the washing. Bill came home about noon. Milan went and got him. I went down and saw Betty’s house, it looks very good. Bill is much better this time than he was a week ago. I had swordfish for supper and I picked some dandelions. They were so good.

 

 

 

Saturday, May 19, 1984

 

It started out to be a very nice day then it got quite cloudy, windy. Billie and Zak hauled the dressing out. It got to raining before they got it done. Milan came, also Betty came up. I made rolls, baked some beans. Milan, Betty also Carmen here for supper. I cleaned up the house etc. I was some surprised to see Carmen, but very pleased. She is so depressed, nervous and all upset emotionally. I wish she would give up Alan. He is and what he has done has caused a lot of grief for that family. She don’t know where she is going or what she is going to do. No roof over her head after tonight. I’ll be glad to do anything for her alone. Bill put an electric plug in for the porch today.

 

 

 

Sunday, May 20, 1984

 

Much warmer today. Kind of hazy yet sunny at times. I done up regular work. Billie and Zak hauled Walt’s manure. Betty and Milan stopped in for a little while. Betty bought us a box of candy, very good. I got lunch. Bill mowed the lawns in PM. Betty’s folks set out the geraniums. I worked at my desk in PM. I suppose Carmen is moving from the shelter today.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment