The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 11, 2022

March 12 - 15, 1984 Blizzard of 1984

Monday, March 12, 1984 Dawn came home

 

A most beautiful day. I did the washing and ironing. I made a cornstarch pudding for supper, very good. Shake ‘n bake chicken etc. Esther and Betty called this PM. I watched the TV soaps in PM. Bill took Carmen’s car down and had it registered and inspected for her. She came up after work and got it. In evening Betty, Dorothea and I went down to Fern’s and Susan. We helped Fern to figure things out for having Dorothea come to work for her. Dawn came home but has some relief of the bowels.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 13, 1984

 

A dite of sun this morning. I did my regular work, made a cinnamon roll and blueberry pie. The Avon lady called this morning. She is a new saleslady. It turned out to be quite a nice day. Billie up to David’s. I watched TV programs. It began to snow late PM and it got worse as time went on. By late evening it was blowing and a lot of snow came. Carmen came about suppertime, she paid Billie then her car wouldn’t start. Billie took her home. Dawn called in PM and she looks bad, don’t feel very good.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 14, 1984 Blizzard of 1984

 

Got up this morning, the wind was blowing and drifting quite high. Alan and Carmen came up to called to see if they could go to work. I had them eat breakfast. Carmen couldn’t get her car out. Zak came up and did a lot of shoveling. Billie helped some too. I made chocolate chip cookies and a ham loaf.

 

 

 

Thursday, March 15, 1984 Billie to Dr. for blood test, Papa’s birthdate 114 years ago

 

A beautiful day. I done up my regular work. Watched Days of Our Lives. I wrote out store list to the AG store. Made Angel cake dessert. Billie went to Dr. in Portland for blood test. Betty took him. Dr. didn’t give him much encouragement on his condition of hands and feet. Carmen and Alan called in evening. I called at Fern and Esther’s a little while.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment