The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, November 8, 2022

March 1 - 3, 1984 Fern to Hospital

 

Thursday, March 1, 1984 Fern to hospital

 

A very nice sunny morning, the temp was low. About 12 above at about 5 AM. Fern called Betty about 3:30 AM and she was in a lot of pain and couldn’t get up. She and Dorothea went down. They said she would have to go to the hospital so the ambulance came for her about 5 AM and took her. I done up my work. Made a pie and pudding. Fern is in a lot of pain. She had a lot of visitors today, she had a lot of callers.

 

 

 

Friday, March 2, 1984 Bill $374 mine $163 checks came, cold very

 

A nice day. I done up my work. Betty and I to town. We did a lot of running around, got home about 1:15 PM. I did a lot of odds and end jobs. I paid Betty what she let me have, also on the account to Billie, made last payment on my glasses. It has been a very cold day. I had smelts for supper, they were so good. Betty and I called to see Fern in evening. She is quite good. She had a lot of callers. Zak and his friend brought up some nice potatoes.

 

 

 

Saturday, March 3, 1984

 

A very nice day, only zero when I got up. I done a lot of odds and end things, housework. Zak and his friend up for breakfast. Betty and I called at Dorothea’s. Barbara had been up to help her smooth up her new ceiling in the living room. She has part of the walls painted, it looks nice thus far. It will be beautiful when she gets it done. She is smart when it comes to decorating rooms. She has the knack. Smart cutter. Betty, Walt and kids down to see Fern. Carmen done very well at the mountain today.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment