The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, November 26, 2022

May 5 - 7, 1984 Dawn's Funeral and Senior Prom

 

Saturday, May 5, 1984 KIM’S SENIOR PROM, DAWN’S FUNERAL IN A.M., BILL BACK TO HOSPITAL

 

It has been a partly cloudy and sunny day. I got up early and got my work done, breakfast dishes, beds, vacuumed, washed floors, dusted, got ready. Dorothea and I left about 9:30. Dawn looks so nice. She looked very pretty. A big funeral. We got home about 2 PM. Kim was very upset at Dawn’s funeral and many others. It was very sad for us all, we loved her. Bill was taken sick this PM with internal bleeding from the mouth and from the bowels. Very sick, but he felt today better. We called the doctor and they had him brought right into emergency. This afternoon Carmen helped Kim get her hair ready for the prom. It looked very nice. Tonight she and her date, Robbie Robbins, they was a very nice looking couple. I hope they will have a nice (blank).

 

 




 

Sunday, May 6, 1984

 

A very nice day, sunny and kind of on the mild side. Some wind. Early this forenoon Dorothea, Walt, Betty and Zak all moved Fern up to Dorothea’s for an indefinite stay. She hated to give up her home to go but she likes it up to Dorothea’s, it is so nice and attractive looking. David had a new heifer come today. Kim has been in bed most all day, complete exhaustion. I hope she gets rested. Billie and Zak got the manure spreader up today from Walt’s shed. Walt called today. Betty down to see Bill tonight.

 

 

 

Monday, May 7, 1984

 

Very nice sunny, warm day. I did my washing, ironing. I cleaned the draws in the kitchen. Down to Betty’s, we did her dishes in the China closets. I came home. Dorothea and I went down to the hospital. Bill about the same, he is having tests etc. Today Betty got a call from the police about Alan.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment