The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, November 9, 2022

March 4 - 7, 1984 Esther Arrives From Florida To Help Fern

 

Sunday, March 4, 1984

 

A beautiful day. I done up the regular work. Betty and I called at Dawn’s. Carmen worked at the mountain. Zak called a little while. Betty and Walt called, also David. I worked at my desk.

 

 

 

Monday, March 5, 1984 Perm

 

This has been a clear, cloudy and snowy day. I got my work done up. Went to Barbara’s and got a permanent. We have been in a dilemma all day about Fern. We, Betty and I, went down to the hospital to see the lady that takes care of the patients that need assistance after leaving the hospital. Also to talk with Fern. So many ideas. We finally called Esther as she had said she would come up and help. So we will have to do something so she can come home by Wednesday p.m.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 6, 1984

 

Mild and nice. I did my ironing. Cooked a smoked shoulder and cabbage for supper. Very good. Fern is better, coming home in a couple days. Esther called tonight, she is coming home. Betty called a little while.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 7, 1984 ESTHER CAME, FERN HOME

 

A beautiful day, not very mild. I done up my work, did some work at desk. Then I got ready to go down to Fern’s, Billie and I. Betty went to Lewiston and took Dawn over for her treatments. She was in much misery. Pain and sick to her stomach. She was down to Fern’s when she came home to but she was in pain and tired. So went home. Esther came at about 3:30 or four. Susan brought her. She was so glad to see everyone also we was very glad to see her. She was cold. Fern was glad she came. Joy and Dorothea, Betty and I was there when they came. Billie and Dawn had gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment