The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, November 20, 2022

April 12 - 15, 1984 Kim's 18th Birthday, Fern Home From Hospital

 

Thursday, April 12, 1984 KIMBERLEY ALLIE BOUTILIER HORTON 18 YEARS, Bill came home, NEW ELECTRIC STOVE

 

A quite nice day. I done up regular work. Got the house cleaned up, got ready and they brought the new electric GE stove, white, self-cleaning. I made brownies and baked the slice of ham for the birthday supper. Kim enjoyed it very much, we was pleased to have her up to. Betty and Dorothea to the hospital to see Fern. She is coming home Saturday morning by ambulance. Bill got home about 11 AM.

 

 

 

Friday, April 13, 1984 Bill has gout

 

A partly cloudy and sunny day. I done my regular work. Washed windows. Bill has gout and a bad case. He was in bed all day. Couldn’t stand on his foot. I washed and did the windows.

 

 

 

Saturday, April 14, 1984 Fern home from NCMH

 

A mixed cloudy day. I got up early and done my work. Got ready and went down to Fern’s about 11 AM with Betty. Dorothea was there. They brought Fern at about 12 by ambulance. She seemed much better this time and looked better. Bill up some today, quite lame but got around.

 

 

 

Sunday, April 15, 1984 Kim birthday celebration at Fern’s

 

Mostly cloudy day, a few breaks with the sun shining through. I got my work done and got their lunch. Then about 12:30 we went down to Fern’s for Kim’s 18th birthday celebration. Fern was glad we came down. She is doing real well and looks very good. Kim got a lot of nice gifts and a good sum of money $285. Bill is walking better, but he looks bad and not too well.

 







 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment