The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 4, 2022

February 14 - 17, 1984 Valentine's Day

Tuesday, February 14, 1984 Fern up

 

Well this hasn’t been a very good day, it rained and was awful foggy all day. I watched my shows in the a.m. Then I cleaned up the whole house. I made some cream puffs. Got my beef roast in, got my vegetables ready. I baked a couple loaves of bread for Carmen, she brought them up before she went to work. Billie went down and brought Fern up for the PM Valentine’s Day. Carmen and Alan called. We had a nice card from them, roses from Betty Walt and Kim and Zak. A nice box of candy, Russell Stover some Dorothea and one from Billie. Very nice.

 

Valentine Flowers

 

 

 

 

Wednesday, February 15, 1984 mild temps

 

Another very rainy cloudy dismal day, foggy mild temperatures. I done my work, watched a.m. soaps and TV soaps. I worked on puzzle all day. Billie read magazines. Bill read magazines. Heidi just rested. Zak stayed after school for makeup, this is the last one. He got a ride home with Billie.

 

 

 

Thursday, February 16, 1984

 

A fair day. Some clouds and some sun. I did regular work. Betty went to town and done the shopping for me. I got a lot done on the puzzle. I watched TV. Billie out in PM. Bill home all day doing nothing.

 

 

 

Friday, February 17, 1984 Betty 41, Kim to Carnival

 

A cloudy day. Mild. I been busy all day. I did a big wash. I made a pie and cake. Down town. I washed the windows all over the house. Kim to the Carnival activities at school tonight. Had a very good time.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment